
Sorry i didn't mention last week that we were going away. Lawrence left on Saturday the 21st for Los Angeles and me and the boys left the following Monday to go visit my family in Quesnel. I got to do some shopping which was fun...me and my mom and the boys went to PG for the day...Value Village yahoo!! Then spent a couple days visiting with Jeremy, Davey, Christy, and mom and James (jason moved to Edmonton). After a great visit I packed the boys into the car on Friday morning to head home. It was snowing lightly but i wasn't concerned as it had snowed the day before and was all melted with a couple hours. We stopped for an hour in PG and had something to eat and then started out again. The snow still hadn't stopped and as we got further the roads slowly got worse....it was the wet slushy kinda snow that pulls you into the ditch. We stopped again in Vanderhoof for a break and some lunch at Timmy's and the once again continued on. Already we were driving considerably slower than normal and the snow was only getting worse. about 20 minutes before we got to fraser lake the roads were so bad that i was struggling to keep us on the road and then another driver almost pushed us into the ditch when they tried to pass us! I had had enough! So we made it to Fraser Lake and got a hotel room for the night. I thought that surely it would let up by morning and we could still make it home to meet lawrences plane at 2:30pm. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon on friday when we stopped. so we had some dinner at the hotel restaurant and then watched a movie in our room (thank the lord for portable dvd players). Then the three of us tucked into our one bed for the night. I remember waking up in the middle of the night to the room being pitch black and wondering why the bathroom light had turned out. When we woke up in the morning the room was a touch cold. I went to turn on the lights and.....nothing. the hallway outside our room was so black i couldn't see my hand. The power was out. looking out our window it seemed that the hotel wasn't the only place without power. And it was still snowing and even harder than before. Around 8am i ventured out to the lobby and they said the roads were closed all the way to hazelton. the Lobby slowly filled with travelers that had stopped throught the previous day and night to take shelter at the hotel and it looked like we were all stuck there. I heard that on friday we had recieved 30 cm of snow. They had plowed the parking lot after that first 30 cm and when i went to my car that morning it was halfway to my knees already and it didn't stop snowing until Sunday morning. So we were safe and okay. the hotel people were wonderful, they even managed to feed the guests without power. But it was very stressful and frustrating being stuck in a small hotel with two kids and no power. Poor Gabriel was so bored he was running circles in the room. Oh did i mention that noah cut another tooth while we were there so he barely slept at night at all? Yah that was fun too. I was so thankful for my cell phone (the phones were out too). I kept in contact with lawrence and parents. My dad even offered to try to come get us in the truck. The power was restored at about 7pm on saturday night and i was so happy that i grabbed gabe and danced around the room with him. And then I plugged in the dvd player and put the boys in front of a movie....ahhh silence. It was so nice to crank the heat up and just sit in front of a movie.
So we got home sunday afternoon and I don't know if i've ever been so excited to be home before! Gabe did love the snow. I just wish i had boots and stuff so he could have gone out and played in it. He kept asking me if it was christmas time...explain to a three year old the that winter and christmas are different! Okay this was a very long post....but I think that about sums up our trip. It was fun, it was interesting...i'm glad its done!
P.S. am I crazy to wish that we had snow here too?
11 comments:
Goodness,
I guess you won't forget that trip for a while,glad to hear you were all kept safe.The first year we lived here we went to P.G. for spring break and I had to push through from Vanderhoof to P.G.as that was where the storm started.And to think I thought we were done with snow.Yes portable Dvd players are a blessing,won't travel without ours.Did you manage to explain the snow and christmas difference to Gabe? Glad to know you are all home safe and sound.
Hey, this is the other Tanya here!
Glad to have you back here safe and sound. And no, I don't think you're crazy for wanting snow here either...I'm looking forward to it. I "hear" this area is going to get dumped on this year...I'll believe it when I see it. I just pray that it doesn't wreck our plans for christmas!!
You're alot braver than me, venturing that far alone with your two kids...I've never done it yet, and am not looking forward to the day I have to! haha!
hey star...
it snowed lots here yesterday (I wouldn't have minded it waiting till long after the baby was born) and when Aja woke up to see all the snow she was jumping up and down saying "yea! it's finally winter! only two more months till papa comes for christmas!"
Hopefully you will get lots of snow when you are 'safe' at home instead of having to travel long distances in it...
Oh, Starla, I feel so sorry for you! What a mess, flights were all backed up all over the place, and all the roads were closed, but I had no idea you were out there in it! Glad you're safe and sound!
I can't imagine travelling with 2 little boys on terrible road conditions. Thankfully you made it home safe and sound!!
Jenny
Starla, all I have to say is you're my hero! No, really..if I was stuck on roads like that I would have had a massive mental breakdown. I'm absolutely terrified of driving in the snow in town, so on the highway (with 2 small kids) I wouldn't be able to handle it lol
I'm so glad you made it home safely =D
Definitely sounds like an adventure of a lifetime! WOW!
Glad you guys are safe :)
Thanks to everyone for their concern and prayers! you guys are all great!
Miss you so much!!! Did you get the license number of the guy who almost ran you off the road? Thought maybe I'd track him down and beat him severely. Did I type that out loud?
PS, LOVED the pics!!
hey star. We will have to get to gether next time you come down. Good to hear you had a good trip. The boys look so cute in the pics. How is dad and Vi. Tell them i say hi, and send my love. Hope everything is going good for you guys!! Love you lots
Post a Comment