
Just before we left for P.G. last thursday I got a call from my ob/gyn's nurse. They had recieved the results from my first round of pregnancy bloodwork (the icky one where they take 7 vials of blood) and those results stated that my blood platlet count was low. Which meant I had to get retested to confirm. I just got a call today from the nurse again. This time my platlets were even lower.....not exactly a good sign. Apparently when they refered back to my charts from when I was pregnant with Gabe and with Noah, they noticed that both times their were occasions where my platlets were low then too. So the possibility is that this is just something my body does when i'm pregnant and they won't need to do anything about it. But in the meantime its looking like I will be giving up a lot more blood than i did in previous pregnancies. i'm supposed to go back again in a week and probably consecutive weeks if the count stays low or gets lower.
I've been reading up on low blood platlets in pregnancy and it seems that in most cases where it happens solely in pregnancy nothing is done about it. Its not a real concern and they just keep a slightly closer eye on you. I still need to confirm this with my own doctor. The risk......my dr's nurse admited knowing little about it but did say that when platlets are low your blood is thinner and has a harder time clotting, thus it is harder to stop a persons bleeding. I'm looking forward to my next appointment on the 8th so i can pick my dr's brain about it all.
At any rate, i'm already starting to feel a bit like pin cushion......should be fun if i have to keep this up until October.
2 comments:
Yucky is right. I absoluely HATE needles. I didn't get my blood work done with Jeffery until the night before he was born. With this one I did it but thankfully only once so far. And they only took 3 vials. I am over due for my blood sugar test but I'm kinda avoiding it. I'm praying for you!!!
Sharon :)
awww hugs to you star! on the positive note... 2 things... 1) at least your doctor is open with you and answers questions.... mine... i feel like i'm in the dark constantly especially now with the non-routine u/s being booked and 2) at least its something with you and not your unborn child... i'd give anything for it to be my problem and have baby be totally fine... maybe he is.... we dont know yet...
anyways... you'll be in my prayers... hope all works out well for you and the little one
Post a Comment