Sunday, September 03, 2006

M.I.A.



I have been missing in action as of late in blogger land. I apologize for my lack of posting.....what can i say? No good excuses. Things in the Penner Clan have been fairly good. Were keeping busy enough. The boys are doing great...Noah is growing like a well tended and loved flower (i don't want to compare my little baby to a weed). He is far surpassing the weight and size that Gabe was at his age. I'm looking forward to seeing what his physique will be like when he hits the toddler days. I can't believe that he is five months old already! How the time has flown by. I'm so glad that I told myself in the begining...."its okay to let him sleep in your bed, he's only a baby once"...and "hold him as much as you want and can cause one day he'll be too busy to cuddle all day long" Already our little Noah wants to be sitting up all the time and checking out this world that is still so very new and fresh to him! Its such an exciting time watching him learn new things and see Gods creation for the first time! And then there is our "big" boy Gabriel. My first baby has now officially started preschool! He loves doing his school work and sitting at his new little tykes desk (great garage sale find!). "my do cards mamma?" he'll ask me. Why he has taken to calling me mamma this last month is beyond me but its kinda cute so i'll let it go. He has about 4 different school books, tracing lines and circles, alphabet, counting, etc....but what he really loves is flash cards! Especially his Noah's Ark ones. I lay out pairs and he plays memory with them. Each age has so many fun things about it! Children learn at such an incredibly fast rate! Every time we go outside Gabe sees something new! Maybe he saw that thing everyday for the last year but this might be the first time he really noticed it enough to look closely and figure what it is or does. You never stop learning as a parent do you?

I'm very excited about homeschooling. I hope and pray that I do well at it. I was chatting with my mom the other day on messenger and she informed me that she has saved almost all of her homeschooling books and supplies from when my siblings and I were little and she is willing to pass it on to me! How exciting! Well, its very exciting for me. I am currently trying to think of a subject to focus on for the next few months (other than alphabet and fine motor skills). I would like to pick some topic/subject every "semester" and learn as much as we can on that subject. I will need someting basic that Gabe is already interested in.....let me know if you have any brilliant ideas for me!

Well this has been a fairly long post so i'll let you all go and save some of my reserves for tomorrow. God bless you all!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Gavin has been learning lots of different things lately. We have been going to the library and each visit he picks out 3 books. The last visit he picked out a learning book on frogs(a watch me grow book) and he can now tell you by looking at the pictures the name of a bullfrog, the white tree frog, the poison dart frog, the tinker reed frog, tomato frog and bumpy horned frog. It's amazing the brains of these children!! Last month we studied sharks and the month before it was whales. I've also taught him to count to 12 in French and say Bonjour, je m'appelle Gavin.
We haven't started the letters yet, but he can recognize his name.
The library has awesome learning resources and there are tons of books on insects, sharks, whales...you name it that are educational and fun. Plus there's nothing cuter than when your 3 year old grabs his backpack and is so excited to go the library...
We should all meet there sometime and go the park afterwards.
Sorry this is so long! You're doing a wonderful job with Gabe!! You should be proud of yourself!!

Laney said...

hey...

that is funny that Gabe has started calling you 'momma' in the past month as Aja has just started doing that as well :-)
(for subject stuff you could focus on the days of the week, and months of the year, and seasons if you think he would be into that at all, maybe make a large calendar where he could put the days of month on it..?)

starla said...

thanks for the tips ladies....lany i love the idea of focusing on seasons and days of the week! thanks!

Jenny said...

I forgot to mention this,but you're probably doing this already. Pick a colour to study every two weeks. So if you're doing "yellow" you can download some sun pictures to colour. Also you can get some books that has the colour yellow in it (curious george, winnie the pooh) and you spend a few days really learning the colours. They do that in Kindergarten as well. Choosing themes...teddy bears (colouring teddy bear pics, having a teddy bear picnic, tb books), rain...etc. It's fun. You've inspired me to go and download some colouring sheets for Gav.
I think we'll do "A" this week and discuss apples, make some apple crisp...
I'm excited!!

Linda said...

Hi Sweetie!! Gabe looks so darn cute at his desk! I was happily looking through books and school things and I actually found a tiny folding flannel board that I hardly used. Hopefully I can find the stuff I used with it. Counting is a good activity at this age. Give him things to sort by color , and count. Practising cutting out shapes with construction paper ( with safe scissors of course( is great too.

Miss ya, send me the latest video tonight or tommorow?? I LOVED the jolly jumper one!!! Sigh, Gramma misses her little cherubs.

Love Mom