Saturday, March 31, 2007

Appreciating Power!

So on wednesday nigth shortly before midnight our power went off due to the freakish snow/slush storm that had started earlier that day. I was still up trying to clean our house becuase our realtor was showing it on thursday morning. Needless to say its awfully difficult to clean in the dark so I double checked that the boys were tucked under covers and went to bed. The power was still out in the morning but I cleaned what I could with the minimal daylight (still snowing). After a couple phone calls i found at that the power was out all across town so we re-scheduled the showing for that evening instead of morning. We hung out with chris and christy for awhile at their house and about 30 minutes after we got there their power came back on! Yippee! We cooked food really fast just in case the power went off again. Shortly after we decided to come back home thinking that our power would be on too.....we were wrong. Our power stayed off until late yesterday afternoon. It made for an interesting couple of days. The first night Gabe woke up at 2:30am crying cause it was so dark so he slept with us. The second night lawrences mom lent us 4 battery lanterns and she bought a little mini one especially for Gabe to take to bed with him. Instead of being scared of the dark he was so excited to go to bed with his own little lantern! God bless Gramma! That night we cooked food on our little one burner camp stove and I read my book by lantern light. We are blessed to have wood heat so the house stayed nice and warm. So now that the power is on i'm really appreciating being able to flip switches and push microwave buttons, boil water easily and put movies on for the boys!
It started to snow again last night and some more this morning but it's clearing up again....our driveway is awful and needs to be shoveled badly! I don't want to do it so hopefully lawrence can get on it after his day of fishing with Devin (today is the last day to catch a steelhead).
So that was our adventure these last few days. It was actually kinda fun. Noah saw candles for the first time and he stood by the couch pointing at them and talking in his little babbles for half an hour....super cute! I don't wish for it to happen again soon and right now i'm working on an emergency kit for our house.....i've recently learned we need one!

3 comments:

Laney said...

hey, it is funny how addicting eletricity can be, even my parents who lived without it for so many years have a hard time going without it now...lol.. that is a good idea to do an emergency kit, although I am not sure what I would put in one other than some flashlights...??

starla said...

lany, bottled water, camp stove fuel for us, first aid kit, extra batteries in different sizes, candles, lighters and matches....just for a start.

Linda said...

I'm so glad that power went back on!! I found it kind of humorous that I'd tucked a flashlight into the parcel for you, BEFORE your power went off. Of course it wasn't even mailed when your power went off.Another thing to put in your emergency kit is basic first aid stuff, like bandaids, tylenol, etc so they're easy to find and get at. And a deck of cards!