
Deuteronomy 2:24, “Rise ye up, take your journey, and pass over the river Arnon: behold, I have given into thine hand Sihon the Amorite, king of Heshbon, and his land: begin to possess it, and contend with him in battle.”
I have a problem with procrastination. I think I always have, at least as far back as I can remember. It wasn't as big a deal in my younger years. For the most part it didn't effect anyone too much if I didn't get something done on my to do list. Now it does. I'm feeling convicted about this area in my life. Especially things in my home. I hate going down to the basement to do laundry (2 flights of stairs and its freezing cold down there!) and although I feel so great after i've done baking and cleaning, some days I just really want to sit on the couch. Often times I feel so guilty about putting things off in my house that I will keep getting up and wandering through rooms but I never actually get anything done!!!! So my new motto lately has been "Just get it done". Yesteray I wanted to get the house cleaned, bake a ton of cookies to freeze and have some fresh for lawrence, and bake my mother in-laws stew recipe (amazing stew and lawrences favorite meal) which is not a quick meal by any means. So I wandered in and out of the kitchen for awhile dreading my tasks of the day (bad attitude). Then around 8:30am I just said to myself "Get it done!" I rolled up my sleeves and started baking. I had to force myself. My body fought me the whole way let me tell you! My back ached like it hasn't in a long time yesterday! But I finished a huge batch of cookies (4 dozen) and got the bread rising before I took a break. Took a break for an hour to have a soak and get myself cleaned up for the rest of the day. Then I managed to get the soup done and had time.....oh no wait I didn't have time. I barely got the floored vacuumed and then realized that we were going to be late and the kids still hadn't eaten! ARgggg! So the house wasn't as spottless as I had hoped it would be but it was generally clean and I had managed to tick off the rest of my list and make it to the airport before lawrence did (7pm). It feels so great to know that my baking is done, I have stew in the freezer and the fridge, the bread is done for a couple days and the house is less than filthy. It may not be perfect but neither am I. The above verse was used in a devotional i read this morning about Begining. It talked of begining things. From simple daily tasks that you need or want to get done (getting caught up with the laundry) to bigger visions you might have (cleaning the tub). Okay say maybe cleaning the tub isn't a big vision for most people.....how about finally reading that classic you've always wanted to read? Anyways, the devotional spoke about how everything needs to start somewhere. The verse says "...begin to possess it." I just have to focus on beginning. I dont' need to worry so much about finishing just yet. I just need to get up, go into the laundry room and throw one load in (or just read one chapter in that book, hehe).
6 comments:
Good post! I feel inspired!
I love finishing things.. not so much beginning them. I am trying to focus on one room at a time right now. And make sure there is nourishment for everyone else. I would love to have an organized home because the new Wiebelett comes. I am confident with our new "early mornings" it will happen! Thanks so much for encouraging me in this! See you in the AM ;)
good post!!! i procrastinate too.... badly. it's hard to start sometimes, eh? i tell myself i don't have to finish it right now, i just have to do the first step... then the next step.... i may not finish it when i hope to, but instead of looking at it as failure, i look at it as having successfully started it! lol.... it's all perspective!!! :D
I used to be like that in quesnel, when we had WAY too much stuff lol!. Right now its awesomely easy to do things, i do laundry every day *granted its not down two flights of stairs* and we only have one counter so the dishes have to be done immediately (usually) The rest pretty much stays clean cus we dont use it lol. Good luck! And have fun with lawrence!! Make sure he calls to remind jer when to pick him up! lol
I guess for me the 'bigger vision' is cleaning the tub cause that is the only thing in the house that I really really do not like doing,lol, everything else is good though... although it is hard when you have cleaned the house from top to bottom and it is spotless and the next day it looks like you havne't cleaned in about a month...it is seriously amazing how dirty/messy things get when you have kids!
laney!!! its so super good to see a comment from you! i've miss you girl!!!!
Post a Comment