I know spring is not just around the corner...sigh. But i'm totally getting the itch for gardening! I've never really had my own garden. I helped with sarena's garden one year but that hardly counts. Lawrence has always dreamed of having his own garden and greenhouse. I can remember him planting potatos i was going to throw out in our backyard when we were first married. Our new house has a huge greenhouse and almost 2 acres. I'm nervous about my garden because I have no idea what I'm doing! Thank goodness for Sarena and my father in-law who know how to plant a garden and are both fairly willing to help me get started. I just can't wait to plant, pull weeds, and then harvest my own fresh food! I'm greatly looking forward to learning to can as well!
So here are some of the things I would love to have growing in my garden this year (please keep in mind that I have no idea what grows well in our climate, these are my dream fruits and veggies)
*Potatoes
*Carrots
*Squash
*Tomatos
*Pod Peas
*Spinach
*Broccoli
*Green Onion
*Cucumber
*Pumpkins
*Raspberries
*Ruhbarb
*Strawberries
*An Apple tree (obviously this will take years)
Oh Yum! Can't you just taste the goodness! Just imagine homemade spaghettie sauce using only ingredients from my garden!
"mommy, i'm hungry" to which I can reply "Go grab a carrot from the garden" Thrilling!! Or how about this one, "Merry Christmas! Here's some homemade pickles for you!" Have you caught my excitment yet?
Last night i made my first apron. Let me clarify, I have an apron already and i've worn them before but this is the first i have made. Also, the one apron I own i really detest and only wear when absolutly neccesary. This apron I made is not fancy and not well made (please don't ever look at it up close). But let me tell you, as soon as I put on that puckered, lopsided creation I immediatly wanted to go and "harvest my garden" and fill my apron with food to eat! I can't wait for the warm rays of spring and summer. To get my fingers dirty in soil and watch the sprouts peek from the ground! For now I guess I'll Just go and make sure my driveway isn't flooding with the overwhelming amount of water and slush that has been created this week.
7 comments:
I would love to go a garden too but I don't have a green thumb at all! So I will just enjoy yours!
I can just see you on your hands and knees in your garden with your kids running around in the yard! Bliss!
Gardening is so rewarding :) The kids will love being able to play in the dirt.
I don't share your excitement. We do have 2 huge cherry trees that produce so much cherries. Last year we couldn't pick them fast enough. This year I know I'll have to make cherry jams. We also have raspberries,but that's it for me. Originally we thought about putting in a greenhouse but I don't have any desire for that. I have a hard enough time weeding my flower beds and I curse my way through it every time I do it.
I do herb pots every year and find them rewarding.
Have fun!
Im excited for you!! lol oh, my mom has an AMAZING family recipe for pickles....maybe i can grab it for ya...my mom is obsessed with canning, i bet i could get a few recipes for ya if you want
Jenny - please call me this year if you have too many cherries!! I want some so badly!!!
Tasha - yah, hook me up!
Jenny - please call me this year if you have too many cherries!! I want some so badly!!!
Tasha - yah, hook me up!
hahah i grab em from her when we go there this month :D
Post a Comment